When it comes to printing, the two most popular inks used are Soy-based Ink and petroleum-based ink. At PackMojo, we have committed to using soy-based ink in our printing.
- Produced from refined soybean oil, which is mixed with environmentally friendly substances including natural resins and waxes.
- A renewable, sustainable, non-toxic way of producing particularly bright and vibrant colors which originate from the soy oil.
- A more cost-effective alternative to Petroleum-Based Ink, which is why it is frequently used by newspapers.
- Although effective, Petroleum-Based Ink contains a high amount of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) which are very harmful to the environment.
- Petroleum is nonrenewable meaning it cannot be replenished in the short-run, and in the long-run it is a finite resource.
Other types of Ink
Another common kind of ink used in printing is vegetable based ink. This has similar properties to that of soy-based ink as it provides bright, vibrant colors and is also environmentally friendly. However, vegetable-based inks are more expensive in comparison to soy-based ink, allowing us to keep our prices low and competitive.